background

Saturday, October 23, 2010

it wasn't exactly "eye of the tiger" skating action

Friday after school was Audrey's first skating party with CK. She's still too young to experience the anticipation of cruising around the dimly lit rink, looking oh-so-cool, jammin' to eye of the tiger and thinking about who your partner will be for the slow skate.


Rollarena

I had this anticipation. Shooting the duck wasn't really my thing, but my childhood crush was a fantastic duck shooter so I'd root him on from behind the wall -- my glow bracelets waving in the air. Yep, glow bracelets.

So when Audrey put on the classic brown, stained skates, I was excited for her. She did the classic Audrey spaz move, "Look Mom, I can do this!" and promptly found herself face down on the carpet where she put on her skates. Michael half-joked that she really should wear a helmet, to which I replied, "Do you want her to be the outcast of her school?"

Roller Girl

The silver lining on our skate cloud was that I could walk around the rink--no skates required. I had Audrey on my right, hanging on for dear life as her legs did a constant scissor kick. Nina was on my left, wearing the tiniest skates I'd ever seen. She was doing far better than her spaz sis.


Nina's skate next to nieces'

It took us 7 minutes to get around the rink once. I cringed as eager kids went down around us...the ones who clung to the wall, scooting themselves around, but when the wall ran out and they faced the valley of death space to the next wall, their legs go in different directions and they land hard.

Thankfully, my sister, nieces and nephew showed up. Misery loves company. She took her 7 min walk around the rink with Tony. Then my awesome nieces took Audrey off of my hands and helped her back out on the floor.



All in all, it was a successful first skate party. I'm sure there are many more in my future. Maybe, just maybe...if the kids are lucky...I'll don a pair of those kick-ass skates and show them my moves. But only if Eye of the Tiger is blaring.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I don't know if you remember Skate King. I'll never forget shooting the duck to Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust!" I'm pretty sure I was wearing ankle-zipper jeans, too.

    ReplyDelete

 

avandia